The first post-war meeting of FIFA, the International Federation of Association Football, was held in 1946, with Brazil as a candidate to host the fourth World Cup. The choice of Brazil as host impelled the 1948 construction of the Jornalista Mário Filho stadium, better known as Maracanã.
More than six decades later, the stadium hosted the World Cup once again, hosting seven games of the competition in 2014, including the final between Germany and Argentina. The last game gathered 74,738 fans, the current maximum capacity of the Maracanã.
With a maximum length of 317 meters and 32 meters high, for many years Maracanã was the largest stadium in the world. The field covers an area of 186,638m². The construction consumed 80,000m³ of concrete and 500 thousand bags of cement.